MP4 conversion app - resolution size

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Fri Feb 1 13:47:45 GMT 2008

Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Nigel Ridley <nigel at rmk.co.il> writes:
>
>> My daughter just bought an MP4 player but when I try to play video
>> clips (any of the formats that the player recognizes) that I have
>> successfully copied from my Feisty box, I get an error message:
>>
>> 'File Format Error'
>>
>> Somebody told me it's because the video clip's resolution is too big.
>
> It could be.
>
>> Is there an app that will reduce the resolution size of said clips?
>
> ffmpeg, mencoder, transcode, and a host of similar tools.   Try avidemux
> if your release contains it, which has a nice GUI interface to this sort
> of thing.
>
>> Is this the answer?
>
> No idea.  It could be, but you have not provided anything like enough
> detail for us to know.  Assuming that the device doesn't produce a
> helpful error in addition to that particular one ... try it and find
> out.
>
> Also useful: try putting some video on there using the supplied Windows
> tool, if possible, then extract it to your Feisty system.  That should
> give some more information about what is done to the video on the way
> through.
>
> Regards,
>         Daniel

I tried the avidemux app but couldn't see any way of reducing/converting.

I did a google of the problem and there are a ton of folks with the same
problem. The answer is to use a convert tool but I can't find anything
for Linux (there was one but it seems like it's just for 'psp'.

There is this one:
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Environment/Tools/avi-and-mp4-converter-32163.shtml
but I'm not sure how much Gnome stuff I will need.

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries