Corrupted file on MP4

Steve Grace sgrace at pobox.com
Sat Feb 2 02:40:53 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 22:40 +0200, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> Is there a [cmd line] method of removing a corrupted file on an MP4?
> I tried copying a bunch of MP3's to my daughter's new MP4 and one of the
> directories with a bunch of songs got corrupted (according to WinXP -
> Feisty didn't give any info, just won't let me delete it). The MP4 can't
> delete the directory either. I did manage to rename it (to 'corrupted')
> and then successfully copied the said directory to the MP4.
>
> Using the gui on Feisty, the MP4 and WinXP, there is no way to delete it
> or overwrite it. Is there a way using the command line? Perhaps using 'dd'?

Nigel:

Many Chinese-made "MP4" players advertise the incorrect capacity (e.g.,
4 GB when they're really 1 GB). Adding files beyond the "real" capacity
results in file system corruption. The only way out is to reset the
player to the correct capacity and to re-load your files.

See my web page here:

http://members.cox.net/sgrace9/chipod/index.html

Good luck!

Steve