Problems with NTFS external USB drive in Kubuntu (update)

Art Alexion art.alexion at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 07:58:19 UTC 2008

On Sunday 28 December 2008 16:43:25 Valter Mura wrote:
> Il venerdì 19 dicembre 2008 16:03:19 Art Alexion ha scritto:
> > OK.  The problem seems to be with Kubuntu KDE 3.5.10, and not 4.1.  The
> > drive mounts fine on Kubuntu 8.10.  The problem exists on three Kubuntu
> > KDE 3.5.10 machines, while everything works fine on a KDE 4.1 machine and
> > an Ubuntu 8.10 Gnome machine and an 8.04 Gnome machine.  It also work in
> > WinXP.  The only Kubuntu 8.10 machine I tested it on is 64-bit, if that
> > makes a difference.
>
> I can confirm this issue: the same external usb drive that I couldn't open
> with Kubuntu 8.04/KDE 3.5.x, now opens perfectly in Kubuntu 8.10/KDE 4.1.3
>
> Model: Packard Bell Store & Save 320 GB / USB connection

Is that a USB powered drive or does it have its own power supply?

> > Thinking it was a problem with ntfs-3g or something, I reformatted the
> > drive as ext3.  It made absolutely no difference.
> >
> > I want to report this as a bug, but have no idea what package to report
> > against.  Any ideas?
>
> Well, I think you have to indicate the model of the ext drive and the
> system you were using, comparing it with the actual system, perhaps it's a
> kernel problem (?)

That would be a problem because it is a drive I took out of an otherwise
broken laptop and a generic 2.5" enclosure.

I can't imagine it would be a kernel problem because Kubuntu and Ubuntu share
the same kernel and it mounts fine in Ubuntu.