Installation of Ubuntu Studio 8.10 / Edmund Laugasson

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Dec 26 16:35:17 GMT 2008

On Friday 26 December 2008, Ash wrote:
>Dear Edmund,
>
>Thank you for your feedback on how I can go about installing Ubuntu Studio.
>
>As I shared earlier, I am a new user and needless to say a bit scared that
>if I do something wrong it might crash my notebook.
>
>In your Feedback:
>
>----------------------------------
>Better this:
>
>sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y install ubuntustudio-desktop && sudo
>ldconfig && sudo dpkg
>--configure -a && sudo apt-get clean && sudo reboot
>
>Copy this to the terminal window, press enter, enter your password and watch
>the action and after PC
>automatically restarts, you have Ubuntu Studio :)

copy/paste it in a terminal window after you've logged in.

Open that message so it is displayed in your email agent.  Goto another screen
and open a terminal window.  Go back to the screen showing the email, and
holding the left mouse button down, slide the pointer from the beginning of
that compound command to the end of it so that it is all highlighted.  Now go
back to the terminal window, and with the mouse pointer where the first
character you would type would so, hit the middle mouse button, which should
paste the highlighted text to the terminal screen.

Hit enter, give it your user password and hit the enter key when it asks, and
go get a cup of coffee.

>----------------------------------
>I am confused. At what stage do I enter the above to the Terminal Window?
>Will it be before the OS is selected? I currently have Win XP and Kubuntu
>8.10 installed. I hope the above command will not affect the Win XP on my
>system.

It should not.

>Do I need to have a CD Image of the Ubuntu Studio loaded in my CD-ROM?

No, but you will need a working internet connection because all this will come
from servers on the net and will be 100% up to date.  As will be your install
when it finishes the 2nd reboot below.

>----------------------------------
>
>Then after restart I suggest upgrade:
>
>sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade && sudo ldconfig && sudo
>dpkg --configure -a &&
>sudo apt-get clean && sudo reboot
>
>Now you have after restart up-to-date Ubuntu Studio!

>Do I need to be connected to internet for a live download for updates?

yes

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)