Strange permissions on mounted dvd

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Wed Dec 24 00:41:36 UTC 2008

Jonas Norlander wrote:

> 2008/12/20 Jonas Norlander <jonorland at gmail.com>:

>> $ ls -l /media/
>> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root       root          6 2008-11-20 19:06 cdrom -> cdrom0
>> dr--r--r-- 30 4294967295 4294967295 3024 2008-08-02 11:17 cdrom0
>>
>> See that strange owner and group id on the mountpoint?
>>
>> $ LANG=C ls -l /media/cdrom0/
>> ls: cannot access /media/cdrom0/20 Golden Love Songs Vol.1 (2007) -
>> Easy Listening: Permission denied
>> ls: cannot access /media/cdrom0/A Tribute To Abba (metal): Permission
>> denied <snip>

C'mon, Jonas - do you really expect us to HELP you listen to Abba?  Friends
don't let friends do Abba :-)

I just read a book by John Sandford (Heat Lightning?), where the character
is talking to somebody about CIA conspiracies.  The second guy is worried
that maybe the first _is_ actually from the CIA, and is told "we don't need
to trap you, we've already planted bugs in all your fillings", "Oh - that's
why I keep hearing old Abba songs?",  "No way - even we're not that nasty!"

>> $ groups stefan
>> stefan adm dialout cdrom audio video plugdev users scanner lpadmin
>> admin sambashare
>>
>> I have searched the net and ubuntu bugs but no clues. I don't know
>> where to go from here. Has someone seen something like this before or
>> know what the cause could be?

I _have_ seen things like this before.  Mostly they happen when somebody
copies filesystems from one machine to another, but they can also happen if a
user/group has been deleted.

Check that he actually has a group "cdrom".  If not, it's easy - just create
"cdrom" as group 30 (not that I really think it should be owned by cdrom -
mine has root - but I'm sure it would work).

if that doesn't work, look in /etc/udev/rules.d for anything to do with
cdrom.  This is where the symlink from cdrom to cdrom0 and the permissions
should all be being set.

I have to admit: "A Tribute To Abba (metal)" sounds intriguing!