DVD authoring question

Art Alexion art.alexion at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 20:09:59 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Nigel Ridley
<nigel at prayingforisrael.net> wrote:
> I downloaded a [legitimate] free movie in wmv format and want to convert it so I can burn it to
> DVD and watch it on my TV.
>
> I tried using ffmpeg with:
> ffmpeg -i name_of_file.wmv -target pal-dvd -aspect 4:3 name_of_file.mpg
>
> but although I got a file which is playable on my computer it won't play on our [TV] DVD player.
>
> What must I do to get it to play on a regular DVD player?

You didn't mention that you converted the resulting MPEG into VOB
files and such in the VIDEO_TS directory.  This is the file, index and
menu format that most DVD players are looking for.

Haven't done this in about a year.  At that time,  qdvdauthor was the
best.  I also tried devede and another program whose name escapes me
at this time. devede was the easiest, but qdvdauthor the most mature.
A lot may have changed since then.

artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface