booting to ram

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 16:49:56 UTC 2008

Knapp wrote:
> I found this for making a ram disk.
> http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/Ramdisk/ramdisk.html
>
> So then the next step is to see what needs to be on that ram disk. Any
> ideas anyone?
> Anything that is loaded with the load of FF  would be good, I would think.
> Bin and sbin?
> Lib? (way to big!!) maybe just some of it?
> lib32?
> lib64?

i read the link posted before in this thread, if u use squashfs fro the
ram disk, it gets compressed a lot, and this would provide loads of
space, and you'd still have a great performance boost, since
decompressing and reading from a ram mounted squashfs system is very fast.
firefox writes a lot to ~/.mozilla , i'm not sure how much exactly is
written there, but if it's too too much, having that in ram is helpful,
but you would lose ur new bookmarks and history with every shutdown

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems