No suitable demuxer available.

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 09:38:53 UTC 2008

2008/12/21 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net>:

>> Have you run the "file" command on the files on the CD? Do that and
>> perhaps it will tell you what kind of  file/codec it is.
>
> I typed in file /dev/sdc1 and did not get anything.  I don't seem to be able
> to figure out how to start using the terminal.  I was told to type in kwin
> when the desktop did not function.  I can't understand why typing in file and
> where I want it to look doesn't show the contents of the DVDROM.
>
> Rock-brain,
> Steven

The file command is used on a file not the DVD device that you tried.
In your case you have to mount the DVD (it is a data dvd?) and then
use file command on one of the files on the DVD, something like this
"file /media/cdrom0/mystrangesoundfile.wav".

This is the output i get on a JPEG picture file:
$ file Angels\ Chill\ Trance\ Essentials\ B.jpg
Angels Chill Trance Essentials B.jpg: JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01

What programs have you tried to play the files with? I use Amarok for
the most of my sound files, it can handle most of them but if that
don't work i try it with VLC (Video Lan Client) which is a great
program that can play almost all sound and video formats that is
common.

/ Jonas