booting to ram

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 21 03:10:42 UTC 2008

On Saturday 20 December 2008 8:41:18 pm Willy K. Hamra wrote:
> Knapp wrote:
> > Can Kubuntu be set up to boot to ram? I am talking about a fulling
> > installed system not a live disk.
> > Could the bin dir be put in a ram disk (can you make a ram disk?) and
> > then get program boot speeds like you do from something like Damn
> > Small Linux? I have 2g of ram and for 30$ could get another 2g for a
> > total of 4g (64 bit system btw). My system seems to always run on like
> > 20% of the ram I have anyway.
>
> very good question, i'd like to know that as well. i can increase my RAM
> pretty easily, and this can speed up things pretty much

Dear Knapp,

You may change the whole system with that idea.  If it works, it is genius.
It would remove the biggest pain in the neck for the whole industry of users.
Even if it doesn't work, what a great idea.  If I made motherboards, I would
build a designated boot slot and corner the market.

Cudos, Cheers!, Ciao Bello, and Cordially,

Steven