Problems with NTFS external USB drive in Kubuntu (update)

James Tappin sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk
Fri Dec 19 20:02:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:32:35 -0600
Billie Walsh <bilwalsh at swbell.net> wrote:

BW> My only suggestion would be to figure out a way to externally power
BW> the  drive and see if that made a difference. Maybe a five volt wall
BW> wart and  a home made USB connector. If I remember correctly the
BW> data uses the two  center connections and the power is on the two
BW> outer connections [ I  think I found that information on Wikipedia
BW> ]. I don't know if Rat Shack  [ Radio Shack for the uninitiated ]
BW> has USB connectors for experimental  use but that might be a choice
BW> if they do. Otherwise carefully remove  the outer covering from an
BW> old USB cable and figure out the wiring and  splice in a power
BW> connection after you cut the leads to the computer end.

I'm not quite sure about this, but if my memory servers me, some mp3
players actually have a mains adaptor that plugs into the mini-usb
socket. If that's right then you would only need a mini-USB -> full-size
adaptor. [Might be worth checking Newegg (US), Dabs (UK) or equivalent].

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |