Java for use in Firefox and Open Office - which packages to download?

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 21:16:08 GMT 2008

2008/12/18 Art Alexion <art.alexion at gmail.com>:
> I have made it a practice not to install firefox from the ubuntu repos onto
> kubuntu because it installs gnome as a dependency.  Problem is, if you don't
> do that and install firefox from mozilla, you will have problems.
>
> Gnome should not be a firefox dependency.  I wish someone would fix that.

Well it don't really have a dependency on Gnome. If you install the
firefox meta package it _suggest_ firefox-3.0-gnome-support and if you
install that it pulls in a lot of Gnome stuff like libgnomevfs and
libgconf. I don't know how it was before but now on Intrepid Gnome
it's not a dependency.

/ Jonas