Q: how is plasma different?

Martin Laberge mlsoft at videotron.ca
Mon Dec 15 20:38:18 UTC 2008

On Monday 15 December 2008 15:24:30 D. R. Evans wrote:
> I realise that this isn't really the place to ask this question; but I
> couldn't find anywhere better (there doesn't seem to be a reflector for
> plasma users).
>
> I keep reading hints (especially from Aaron) that plasma is somehow
> supposed to be completely different from any kind of desktop we've ever
> seen before. Yet to me it doesn't seem to be fundamentally different from
> pretty much any modern desktop capable of running widgets. I'm obviously
> missing something deep. Can someone here please either explain what is
> supposed to be so awesomely different about plasma, or point me to a
> coherent explanation.
>
> Sorry again to be a bit off-topic for this reflector.
>
>   Doc

I am not sure, but I think they Microsoftified or Trekified
the interface, by abstracting functionnality to the user.

A very good thing(tm) if Trekified, but I am not sure about the other way.

And we are only at the beginning of it, so I think there will emerge
a great desktop in some years from this Trekification, but we
are not there yet. (my viewpoint)

--
Martin Laberge
mlsoft at videotron.ca
Tel:(418)521-6823
30 Years of Unix Admin, and still learning...