Problems with NTFS external USB drive in Kubuntu

Art Alexion art.alexion at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 20:13:25 UTC 2008

I have this slim portable HD that I formatted ntfs so I could use it with win
and lin.

Kubuntu really hates it. Ubuntu complains, but if you do what it says in the
warning, it works fine with it.

With Kubuntu 8.04/KDE 3.5.10, if the fs seems dirty, it ignores it.  dmesg
throws out some errors, but hal does nothing.  There is no warning.

With Ubuntu 8.04 eee, hal might complain that the file system is dirty.  All I
have to do is mount it manually with the force parameter and unmount it
cleanly, and it works fine.

At that point (after mounting and unmounting in Gnome), the Kubuntu hal will
mount it, but the access is really, really slow.

Any ideas on the difference?

Would reformatting it ext3 help?

I was thinking I'd create a really small fat32 partion and put the ext3 driver
for windows there so that I could install it if I ever need it on a windows
system.