OpenOffice 3.0 - currently broken

Art Alexion art.alexion at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 18:43:08 UTC 2008

On Friday 12 December 2008 11:34:24 am lanzen wrote:
> On Friday 12 December 2008 17:08:00 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > You should read this first:
> > http://www.linux.com/feature/154364
>
> Interesting article Dotan, thanks.
>
> As a matter of fact, there seems to be a possible hack #2 in getting
> openoffice.org-kde to work nicely in Kubuntu until the guys at launchpad
> get it together to fix it, though they seem (rightly so) too busy with
> Amarok.
>
> This is it
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6355296#post6355296
> posts #42 and #34.
>
> Anyone interested, please be cautious!

I seemed to have no choice but to install from the OOo site, as the ppa does
not provide a 64 bit version.  The 32 bit version from the ppa will run, but
complain about java (because 64 bit kubuntu installs 64 bit java that it
can't find)

Another thought.  Even if the Ubuntu packaging team enhances OOo as the
article points out, what is the source of ppa, and is it the alleged enhanced
version?

Prior to gutsy, I often installed the current version of OOo from the website.
Back then, they didn't provide debs, so you had to alien the rpms, but it
worked fine.  I never noticed any difference (except I was using a newer
version).  Also, the "missing features" all seem replaceable with extensions.