Installing 32 bit java on a 64 bit 8.10

Art Alexion art.alexion at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 16:29:05 UTC 2008

Perhaps I shouldn't be doing this at all, and there is a better solution, but
I am open to all suggestions.

I have a 64 bit installation of 8.10.  I installed Firefox from mozilla.com in
/opt.  Presumably it installed 32 bit Firefox.  Now it can't find java.

I also installed OpenOffice 3 from the PPA, and being 32 bit, it wants 32 bit
java.

I suppose I have two alternatives.  (1) install 32 bit java, or (2) remove
Firefox and OpenOffice and download and install the 64 bit versions.

Recommendations and a 32 bit java howto appreciated.