connecting to a hidden WAP router

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Dec 11 07:27:16 UTC 2008

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Nigel Ridley wrote:
> >> And how can I connect to one that doesn't show on the list?
> >
> > Right click on the knetworkmanager icon. Select "connect to other
> > network" (or similar wording) and enter network name and encryption
> > details. Then click "connect". At least that's how it works here
> > (Kubuntu 8.04).
>
> I tried that already but without the network name (essid) it won't let
> me click the 'Connect' button.

I think that makes sense - if it doesn't know the network name it can't
know to which one it should connect :)

> Also if I put in the essid name (even
> though the router isn't broadcasting it -- 'don't broadcast essid'
> option) then KnetworkManager tries but gives up after about 45 seconds
> with a can't connect error.

While it tries to connect there usually is a progress bar - how far does
it go, 28% or 57%?

Did you check for spelling errors of network name and / or passphrase?
Other than that I have no idea why it shouldn't work. Maybe it depends on
the network card? What type do you use? Check with the "lspci" command if
you don't know it already. It works for me with IPW-2200 and AR-2413
cards.

Nils