Automount on 8.10

Art Alexion art.alexion at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 13:42:43 GMT 2008

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 7:18 AM, Jonas Norlander <jonorland at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/12/7 David McGlone <d.mcglone at att.net>:

>>> You can add your own entry to fstab as you have done in previous versions.
>>
>> Thanks. I wasn't sure if it was allowed anymore, since the behavior changed in
>> such a way that I was asking myself why would the developers do this.
>>

> For disks that you always have connected and want to have mounted
> thats still the preferred way. For removable media let HAL do the
> mounting.

I recently shuffled a bunch of disk around and replaced one.  It made
me appreciate using UUID instead of device names in fstab.  The device
name changed based on where I moved the disk, but the UUID remained
the  same so the mounting continued to work.  I only needed to remove
the entry for the drive I removed, and one for the new drive.

I recommend using UUID when you add the entry to your fstab.

artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface