Java for use in Firefox and Open Office - which packages to download?

Sundar Nagarajan sundar.personal at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 05:45:51 GMT 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Bas Roufs wrote:
>
>> A growing number of websites I visit, require some 'Java plugin'. The
>> key word 'Java' in Synaptic showed a whole bunch of Java related
>> packages - none of them have been installed by default. Could you
>> recommend me which Java package(s) are most useful when working with
>> Firefox and OpenOffice?
>>
> sun-java6-plugin
>
> That will get all the other dependencies you need.

Sun doesn't offer a 64-bit browser plugin (yet). If you are on a 32-bit
platform, sun-java6-plugin is the right answer, as per Derek's email.

If you are on a 64-bit platform, you'll need openjdk, which has a 64-bit
Java applet plugin (note that a regular Java JVM / JRE is different from
a browser plugin). The following are the java-related packages that I
have installed for this purpose:

java-common
libaccess-bridge-java
openjdk-6-jre