Keep it short

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 5 19:23:32 UTC 2008

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 05 December 2008, Steven Vollom wrote:
>
>> Wendell Cochran wrote:
>>
>>> Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 09:51:02 -0500
>>> From: Steven Vollom <stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net>
>>> Subject: Re: Kmail and Yahoo (was Re: konqueror search engines)
>>>
>>> Steve, I realize that time is short & that you have much to do.
>>> And I dislike adding to your burden, but:
>>>
>>> Please trim your posts.
>>>
>>> In the one cited above, more than 150 lines -- six full screens! --
>>> could have been omitted without loss.
>>>
>>> Trimming will give you practice in using an editor.  (I recommend vi.)
>>>
>>> Trimming forces review of the topic & discussion thereof.
>>>
>>> Short posts attract readers; long posts encourage them to skip on to
>>> the next thing.  (We're all in hurry.)
>>>
>>> In short, brevity will help others help you.
>>>
>>> Wendell Cochran
>>> West Seattle
>>>
>> I will try, Wendle.  Something has happened to my computer right now and
>> I am having difficulty just making it work at all.  I am having
>> difficulty adding or removing anything.  My mouse is sluggish and
>> doesn't always work.  I am using the arrow keys to move the cursor
>> during the writing of this email.
>>
>> So that I understand, do you mean when a post gets a lot of response
>> back and forth, do you want me to erase the answered portions and only
>> return current active questions and answers, or do you mean reword what
>> I say?
>>
>> Someone included a recommendation for installation of a tool that
>> organized back and forth conversation with verticle colored lines that
>> helped keep track of who was saying what.  I can remove that, however, I
>> don't remember where I got it or what it is called.  But I will remove
>> it is that will help.
>>
>> I have an urgent need for my computer to work right now, and it is
>> acting very strange, so I have an active post that is a little large,
>> but I don't know how to shorten it.  Whatever vi is, I don't think I can
>> install it right now, because of the way the computer is behaving.
>>
>> Sorry
>> Steven
>>

> Steven, a utility call top or htop is your friend, it lets you see what is
> hogging the system, and with htop, to kill it if need be.
>
> Reboot it for now, and then install 'GKrellm', it is the smallest screen
> utility I know of that tells you what the system is doing all the time.  I
> put mine on the right edge of the screen, on all screens.  Then I keep a
> terminal open on another screen running htop.

Wendell, I found another mouse and the mouse moves now, however although
I am typing right now, when I open a konsole or Adept Package Manager or
Synaptic and try to type in my password, nothing goes in.  It is like
the keyboard isn't working at all.  Right now, I am typing and
everything is reacting crisp and fast, like nothing is wrong.  Not the
same when I try to enter a package manager or terminal.  Any ideas on
what I should do.  TIA

Steven