Where is the services menu in Kubuntu 8.10 (KDE 4.1)?

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Thu Dec 4 23:32:28 UTC 2008

On Thursday 04 December 2008 21:53, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/12/4 Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr>:
> > Hi Dotan. Try an apt-get install sysv-rc-conf, then sudo sysv-rc-conf,
> > and you should have a list of services running, and not running. May be
> > best to maximise KDE's Konsole for it to display properly, otherwise it
> > complains.
>
> Thanks, that is what I was looking for. I am surprised that there is
> no longer a GUI version built into Kubuntu, I think that there was
> once, no?
>
> Interestingly, I cannot find the entry for FTP dameon, though I have
> installed the fptd package.
>
> --
> Dotan Cohen

I too find that a bit odd, because one of the first things I do is to install
the vsftpd package. I just opened sysv-rc-conf, and the vsftpd entry wasn't
there. Then I opened synaptic, scrolled down to vsftpd (not installed), chose
to install it, and synaptic said 0 bytes to download, and installed the
package, which now shows up in sysv-rc-conf.

All a bit bizarre, but it is getting a bit late here.

I'll look at this again tomorrow.

Nigel.