How can I make my current project the primary consideration for the use of memory.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 4 13:19:53 UTC 2008

Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>
>> For a while, I will still have an under-memoried computer.  Is there a
>> way for the thing I am currently doing on the computer to take priority
>> from memory resources while torrents are still being downloaded and
>> Compiz is gobbling up its requirements.  Compiz seems to be the primary
>> offender.  Since I installed it, I have to wait on anything that
>> requires memory.  TIA
>>
>> Steven
>>

> If your computer is unter-memoried or underpowered otherwise, the best
> thing you can do is diable compiz and live a happy life without it for
> now, until your new powerhouse powers up.
>
> Kind regards
> Eberhard

I kind of tried that.  The icons that showed as running on the shortcut
bar that drops down, I closed them with the quit option at the bottom,
but the features still work.  When I rotate the mouse wheel, the cube
continues to spin.  At this moment things seem to move better, however,
last night, it was difficult to drag a window.  In fact just to get the
cursor from one side of the screen to the other is an effort.  It feels
like the mouse is having difficulty holding the item.  It would drop the
window and I would have to grab and drag over and over to get  the
window to move.  I changed the batteries in the mouse, so I don't think
it is the mouse.  I suppose I can remove Emerald and Compiz.  I guess I
was hoping they were not the reason I am having difficulties.  I really
like their function.  Have you heard of this problem before with Compiz
users?

When I get my new computer working, I am definately going to use
Compiz.  I very much like the cube feature.  When I first used it, it
was just a very attractive feature with aesthetical benefits.  Being an
artist all my life, things like that are more important I think.
Nonetheless, the practical function that you notice in use after a while
is considerable.  You find yourself using the feature all the time, not
for aesthetics, but because it functions better than the way you used to
accomplish the tasks it serves.  In any event it is not a really big
deal.  I can live without it, or at least until the 8gb of memory are in
use.  It is just working with a sluggish computer is annoying after
being used to the more snappy way it worked before.

Eberhard, I sure enjoy our friendship.  I hope it lasts.  It is nice to
have someone to talk to.

Sincerely,

Steven