Compiling kernel with git

Michael Satterwhite michael at weblore.com
Thu Dec 4 01:07:25 UTC 2008

I've built custom kernels before, but I've never used git. I'm having a
problem with the sound on my system, and an alsa developer is offering me a
git kernel tree that he thinks will fix my problem.

My problem is that - with tool - I'm not sure how to proceed. I see the
instructions for building from git, but what exactly do I retrieve before I
do the configuration and build. I'm going to quote the message he sent me
below. If you can at least get me started, I can go from there. It's
unfamiliarity with this tool that has me confused.

Thanks in advance
Here's his message to me: