I have read some on Proxy Servers, but I am still confused.

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Wed Dec 3 14:26:57 UTC 2008

Steven Vollom wrote:

>> I would like to increase the security of the incoming internet signal
>> through my router, then relax internal security.

Most ISP's use some form of filtering on who gets through to your
system.Not necessarily efficient, but there none the less. Then you have
the firewall on your router. that's probably good enough to keep out all
but the most determined people. The easiest way for someone to get into
your system is if your using a wireless router. You want to make sure
that you have that connection "secured" with either a WEP key or some
form of encryption.

The thing is that no matter what you do if someone wants in bad enough
there are ways to get in. It's kind of like the locks on your front
door. They are basically only designed to keep honest people honest. The
only 100% sure way to secure your system is to unplug it from the
internet, turn off the power switch and unplug it from the wall. At this
point your system is secure but pretty much useless except for a paper
weight or a door stop.

Your best defense for most cases is your own awareness. Be careful what
you open/click on.

--
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.