Power supply

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 3 09:39:55 UTC 2008

Ignazio Palmisano wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>

>> Dear Eberhard,
>>
>> Do you think a 400 W power supply would be powerful enough to boot a
>> quad core to BIOS, if I didn't have any additional video card energy
>> draw.  I would like to see if possibly my problem with the new computer
>> is a power supply failure.  ASUS is pretty sure that the problem falls
>> with them or the power supply.  They are willing to return for credit,
>> refund or replacement, but I would hate to return it and find it OK and
>> the power supply the problem.  I just don't have access to an 800W or
>> larger PS.  Do I need the DVD and HDD installed to boot to BIOS?  Mine
>> are SATA, and the 400W PS doesn't have SATA connections.  It probably
>> doesn't have the processor power supply plug either.  Thanks for the
>> info on the router.  I think that will be my protection.  I remember I
>> had a concern about when I am sharing data with the torrent system, do I
>> open vulnerability and/or am I able to send out data when I have the
>> firewall?
>>
>> Steven
>>

> 400 may be a little small for all parts to work, but it should be enough
> for the BIOS to start. You don't need hard disks and dvds (or anything
> except the video card and the keyboard :) ). I'd be more worried about
> the power supply outputting the wrong tensions (i.e. too low on some or
> all the cables) than about its power.
> HTH,
> I.

I am down to the motherboard and the power supply.  If the power supply
is OK, ASUS recognizes the problem as theirs.  The Heat Sink Fan does
not run, when I boot up.  It did run, when I put it on one of the 3 pin
fan slots.  When connected properly, if the 4 pin connector doesn't work
the power to the processor may not work.  It also probably supplies the
4 pin.  So if the cable from the power supply that goes to the Processor
is defective, that is the problem.  Otherwise it is the motherboard.  Is
there a way to check the power from the power supply that goes to the