I have read some on Proxy Servers, but I am still confused.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 3 07:38:26 UTC 2008

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>
>> Are there free Proxy Servers?
>>

> If you mean a proxy server on the net to disguise your IP, try
> <http://www.google.com/search?q=free+proxy+server&num=100>. If you mean a
> program to run on your machine, there are many. Depending on your needs
> you may consider squid, wwwoffle, anon-proxy, privoxy, just to mention a
> few.
>

>> Can a person still use a torrent
>> program, and use it safely?
>>

> Sure, why not? And what do you mean with "safely"?

When I read that now, it doesn't make any sense.  I can't remember what
was going through my mind.  I think I meant without losing important
stuff; if it is like a filter, you lose things sometimes you'd rather
not lose.

>> Does a Proxy Server provide similar
>> benefit to a firewall?
>>

> A firewall can do many more things than a proxy server. See
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewall>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server>

Is a firewall just a complex password protected incoming signal.  I am
sure my imagination sees it wrong.  I have never heard it explained, I
have just heard the word firewall.

>> Is the setup easy enough for a newbie?
>>

> That depends on what type of proxy you are speaking of. If it is a proxy
> somewhere on the net you usually only have to set the IP address and port
> in your browser. If it is a program on your machine it depends on the
> program.

If the ones that cost are better, I need one that is cheap.  If the free
ones work OK, do they increase the security provided by a firewall.
Does a good firewall work as well without a proxy server?

>> Will a
>> Proxy Server work through a Router?
>>

> Yes.
>

>> I would like to increase the security of the incoming internet signal
>> through my router, then relax internal security.
>>

> >From your previous posts I know you are the only one on your local
> network. Therefore I think you don't need to worry about "incoming
> internet signal" if your router can work as a firewall which blocks
> incoming connections. Check the router setup page if that is possible.
> Then again, there are things like phishing emails which can't be reliably
> blocked by a firewall or proxy. There you'd better rely on your brain.

I followed their instruction pretty well, because it worked.  I have no
idea what I did.  I just followed instructions.  I really would like to
understand this aspect of computing.  My new computer will start fresh
without all the mistakes and insecurities as this one.  And, I would
like to be reasonably secure from now on.

Thanks! Nils