I have read some on Proxy Servers, but I am still confused.

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Dec 3 06:22:30 UTC 2008

Steven Vollom wrote:
> Are there free Proxy Servers?

If you mean a proxy server on the net to disguise your IP, try
<http://www.google.com/search?q=free+proxy+server&num=100>. If you mean a
program to run on your machine, there are many. Depending on your needs
you may consider squid, wwwoffle, anon-proxy, privoxy, just to mention a
few.

> Can a person still use a torrent
> program, and use it safely?

Sure, why not? And what do you mean with "safely"?

> Does a Proxy Server provide similar
> benefit to a firewall?

A firewall can do many more things than a proxy server. See
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewall>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server>

> Is the setup easy enough for a newbie?

That depends on what type of proxy you are speaking of. If it is a proxy
somewhere on the net you usually only have to set the IP address and port
in your browser. If it is a program on your machine it depends on the
program.

> Will a
> Proxy Server work through a Router?

Yes.

> I would like to increase the security of the incoming internet signal
> through my router, then relax internal security.

From your previous posts I know you are the only one on your local
network. Therefore I think you don't need to worry about "incoming
internet signal" if your router can work as a firewall which blocks
incoming connections. Check the router setup page if that is possible.
Then again, there are things like phishing emails which can't be reliably
blocked by a firewall or proxy. There you'd better rely on your brain.

Nils