Why use a virtual machine? **RESOLVED**

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 2 17:47:02 UTC 2008

Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Ignazio Palmisano wrote:
>
>> Steven Vollom wrote:

>>> Dear Eberhard,
>>>
>>> When you have time only, but what is this email about.  I went to the
>>> website that Nils included and read what was there, however, I am still
>>> stumped.  Isn't kubuntu free?  Am I supposed to pay someone a license
>>> fee?  Sorry to be so stupid, but I don't understand what Linux Genuine
>>> Advantage is about.  I don't want to cheat anyone anymore, so please
>>> explain.  (two exceptions, I have no conscience when it comes to
>>> Microsoft and the Movie Industry)
>>>
>>> Steven
>>>

>> The page is meant as a joke, I'd guess :)
>> I.
>>

> Dear Steven,
>
> great that you ask!
>
> You are absolutely correct. Kubuntu is free and you won't have to pay a
> license fee, as long as you use the software that comes with your
> Kubuntu DVD.
>
> Actually WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) is famous and over time it grew
> to be a synonym for "unfree software
> forcing it's users to pay"
>
> WGA became an abrevation for Microsofts way of doing business, which
> might be legally ok, but from a OpenSource perspective, it might look to
> be obscure.
>
> For a much more qualified description, see here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Genuine_Advantage
>
> Moreover, at some time, microsoft had technical problems with WGA which
> led to this:
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070124-8690.html
> (WGA falsely accuses millions)
>
> Now, Linux-WGA is just a great joke.
>
> It claims that Linux Users migrating from windows will miss the
> Microsoft world in general and the WGA Trouble in particular.
>
> Now the latter is said to be cured by Linux WGA, so that your new Linux
> OS will behave like you know it from your old MS-OS.
>
> Again, it's just a professionally made joke, but it really made my day
> to read about it, outlining all the various facettes of WGA, and it's
> never ending "WGA is testing your installation to be legally valid" way
> of treating customers that paid good money for the OS and other software
> from Redmond.
>
> Kind regards
> Eberhard

You take too much time for me, my friend.  I have started trying to
change over to Konqueror instead of Firefox.  I know it just takes a
little getting used to to gain its advantages; I noticed one thing this
morning that was interesting.  One click to add a bookmark; you lose
some options, but  I think better anyway.

Have a great day,
Steven