Skype replacement

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 18:05:07 UTC 2008

2008/8/31 Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net>:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> 2008/8/31 Sylviane et Perry White <spwhite at freesurf.ch>:
>> > I'm not relpying to myself but adding to my previous answer.
>> > I hadden't read all the material provided by Edmund at that moment,
>> > and just foud out that SKIPE  is
>> > *known to have a hidden Government Interception Module*
>>
>> Please tell us how you know this. These accusations are made of all
>> proprietary software, including (and especially) the Windows operating
>> system. Even SELinux has been accused of this. Even HARDWARE has been
>> accused of having backdoors.
>
> At least there is some strong indication for it:
> <http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/113353>

I would say that is more of a network issue than a Skype issue. For
that matter, any open source client would be easier to eavesdrop on.
Furthermore, if you are downloading your open source client over the
network, how do you know that the binary was not tampered with?
MD5SUM? Ha!

No matter what technology you use, assume always that you are being
eavesdropped on. The enemy is listening- whether you are using VOIP,
email, or chat, and whether the enemy is Hamas or your own government.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il