saving package list

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 13:48:13 UTC 2008

Paul Hurley wrote:
> Willy K. Hamra wrote:
>> This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
>> --------------070603060306070708070606
>>
>> i found a lot of websites explaining how to save the list of installed
>> packages, to be used after a fresh install for example. there is a lot
>> of packages that i don't want to install, i can simply delete their
>> names from the list, but their dependencies will still get installed,
>> and as far as i understand, apt will consider them manually installed
>> packages, so i don't think "apt-get autoremove" will remove them, or am
>> i wrong? in which case, it's all i need to know :P
>> otherwise, is there a way to save a list of packages i manually
>> specified to apt? i usually ask for a package and apt automatically
>> install dependencies, is there a way to get a list of these packages i
>> typed?
>> thanks in advance
>>
>> --=20
>> Willy K. Hamra
>> Manager of Hamra Information Systems
>> Co. Manager of Zeina Computer & Billy Net
>>
> Does anyone know how to derive a list of installed packages directly
> from the filesystem, not from a working system.  My Laptop died
> recently, and I can extract the hard drive and mount it, but I can't
> boot that installation.  Ideally I'd like to extract the list of
> installed packages from it to install elsewhere ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul.

do you know your partitions well? if so, either use a livecd or some
other working linux system (if available)
you need to mount the root partition of the non-working system,
somewhere, i'll assume you're going to mount at on /media
if you have seperate /boot, /usr, /var, /home partitions, mount them
with respect to the mounted root partition. that is, mount /home under
/media/home and so on, if you don't have seperate partitions then ignore
this.
after you're done mounting, open a terminal (konsole), and type

sudo chroot /media /bin/sh

now, you are working inside the mounted system, use dpkg, or the
brilliant idea suggested by sundar in this thread to get the list of
packages.