OT:Re: No IRC in Kopete for KDE 4.1?

Sylviane et Perry White spwhite at freesurf.ch
Sun Aug 31 11:31:20 UTC 2008

On Saturday 30 August 2008 22:55, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Actually, I'm not. It should have been n*(n+1)/2. Young Gauss would be mad.
>
> I knew as I posted that I had an error, because n^2 would be odd for
> an odd n, and thus indivisible evenly by 2. Buy I had to hit that Send
> button to find the mistake......
>
> A = n/2(a1+an) according to young Gauss (I'm sure you know the story).

We were both wrong,

Me:
in my previous post I wrote 2n*(n-1) instead of just n*(n-1) because I was
trying to exagerate the figure by considering that A speaks to B and B speaks
to A may be counted as 2 conversations.

You:
It is not n*(n+1)/2 but n*(n-1)/2

How fast can it grow?
Best I got was 2 to the power 2n,
and that was by considering that any group (subset of n, including the whole
group and void group) can have a distinct conversation with any same or
different group subset of n.
Well, if each hear voices, speak to god or to himself or to nobody or to any
subgroup in a group containing a least 9 people, they couldn't hold 9!
conversations.   :-)

cheers		Perry
--
BOFH excuse #310: asynchronous inode failure