saving package list

Paul Hurley paul at paulhurley.co.uk
Sun Aug 31 08:14:32 UTC 2008

Willy K. Hamra wrote:
> --------------070603060306070708070606
>
> i found a lot of websites explaining how to save the list of installed
> packages, to be used after a fresh install for example. there is a lot
> of packages that i don't want to install, i can simply delete their
> names from the list, but their dependencies will still get installed,
> and as far as i understand, apt will consider them manually installed
> packages, so i don't think "apt-get autoremove" will remove them, or am
> i wrong? in which case, it's all i need to know :P
> otherwise, is there a way to save a list of packages i manually
> specified to apt? i usually ask for a package and apt automatically
> install dependencies, is there a way to get a list of these packages i
> typed?
> thanks in advance
>
> --=20
> Willy K. Hamra
> Manager of Hamra Information Systems
> Co. Manager of Zeina Computer & Billy Net

Does anyone know how to derive a list of installed packages directly
from the filesystem, not from a working system.  My Laptop died
recently, and I can extract the hard drive and mount it, but I can't
boot that installation.  Ideally I'd like to extract the list of
installed packages from it to install elsewhere ?

Thanks

Paul.

--
Paul Hurley	http://www.paulhurley.co.uk/
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.