modem usr 5637

Thu Aug 28 04:18:11 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 27 August 2008, John Heinen wrote:
>   I bought a usb/ usrobotics5637, it sends and receives faxes etc, it
> works for windows, apple/mac, and linux. minimum off 2.4.20 or higher
>   It was easy  to install it within wind xp but I don't know how how to
> install it in
> Fedora.2.6.23 linux.
> I tried: system, preference, hardware, keyboard, palm dev, etc
> or application, sys tools,
> or   system administration, network device control.but no dice!!
> It's crazy, it was so easy with windows, why not with Fedora or opensusy
> Suggestions??

Probably a good first suggestion is to see if it is seen by the system...

lspci
will reveal that, and/or
less /var/log/dmesg

Then,
apt-cache search modem
reveals lots of software that should "see" the modem, like kppp for KDE...

Remember, modems are not being used by a lot of the developers nowadays, so
the software might not get worked on as fervently.