kubuntu won't ping my debian server

Dexter Filmore Dexter.Filmore at gmx.de
Wed Aug 27 16:19:38 UTC 2008

Am Montag, 25. August 2008 18:13:11 schrieb Bruce Marshall:
> On Monday 25 August 2008, Dexter Filmore wrote:
> > I have no local DNS set up unless m0n0wall provides it - I was told it
> > didn't. Question is: when all the debians are up, how do they actually
> > resolve their names when there's no DNS around?
> > And of course: why doesn't it work from Kubuntu?
>
> They probably use the /etc/hosts file.

Checked - they do, in fact. Which leads me to the next question: did debian
enter the hosts itself or did I.

> If you put your local names in that file (on all machines), their addresses
> will resolve ok.   (assuming you are using  static IP addresses)

Means if a frioend comes around with a laptop he can't see the machines by
names as well.
Looks like I need to set up a DNS in my local net, huh?
Bind seems overkill to me, is there something simpler?

Dex

--

http://www.vorratsdatenspeicherung.de