PCI BIOS bug number 81 lockup!

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 27 14:28:19 UTC 2008

Knapp wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 16:44 -0700, cherryfinals wrote:
>>
>>> My daughter just called in a panic. I setup her system with Kubuntu
>>> Hardy Heron back on Mother's Day and she has been happily using it
>>> ever since.
>>>
>>> This evening, when she tries to boot her laptop, it halts with this
>>> error message:
>>>
>>> PCI BIOS bug number 81
>>>
>>> And the only way to reboot is to remove the battery.
>>>
>>> She has tried several times and it always locks at the same place.
>>>
>>> I did a quick websearch and found a LOT of threads and most say it is
>>> a harmless bug report. None of them give a fix and the few that report
>>> lockups have no fixes listed, nor even a common cause.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>> What make/model of laptop? Would she confess to spilling a Coke into the
>> keyboard?? <grins> Ric
>>

> Blind guess, update the bios? This is after ruling out all the other ideas.

I googled this a bit.  There seem to be some options you can try at boot
time by editing your grub menu.  One post claimed that putting pci=conf1
on the boot line solved it for him.  There are also other options that
can be tried.  I was reading the posts in this thread:
ttp://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-332829.html

Did you try anything like this?

Paul