The Konq "feature" you don't want

Derek Broughton news at
Tue Aug 26 22:51:11 BST 2008

Art Alexion wrote:

> konqueror 3.5.9
> Kde 3.5.9
> Kubuntu 8.04.1
> This bug caused me some embarrassment.
> Here is a description.  If you have a lot of tabs open, and the last tab
> is a web page without a <title> tag in the <head>, Konqueror displays the
> title of the last adjacent tab in the title bar when you are viewing the
> tab with the blank title.
> So here is the embarrassment.  I was having a discussion regarding GPS in
> cell phones when someone post a URL that is supposed to be authoritative.
> The next
> adjacent tab was a web page entitled "the shit for brains award".  I
> looked at this allegedly authoritative page and saw that its title
> appeared to be the aforementioned s4b award, and said so in a responsive
> post impugning the authority of the page. (it had other problems, but I no
> longer have the credibility to critique them.)

Yikes!  You have my heartfelt sympathy.  It could have been me...

Fwiw, I think not putting a <title> tag in a page makes me question the
tech-savviness (if I can use such a word) of the author.  For heavens
sakes, even the _worst_ page generator will put one there.

I have to say, though, I haven't been able to duplicate it with a simple
  this is all there is
with or without the <head> it generates a title using the filename.  So it's
probably not that straightforward.

There's one question that needs to be asked: was the "shit for brains award"
page worth the embarrassment it inadvertently caused?