Opera, flash and amd64

Dexter Filmore Dexter.Filmore at gmx.de
Mon Aug 25 15:28:52 UTC 2008

Am Montag, 25. August 2008 09:44:48 schrieb Graham Todd:
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 06:51:15 +0200
>
> Dexter Filmore <Dexter.Filmore at gmx.de> wrote:
> > "Some" isn't good enough. Need the real deal.
>
> [snipped]
>
> If Adobe issued Flash as free software (according to the definition of
> the Free Software Federation - see
> http://www.fsf.org/about/what-is-free-software) and licenced it under
> the GPL, you and I wouldn't be in this position.  However, the
> technology behind Flash has been patented (or so I have been informed)
> and the software is proprietary.  I believe you can use the 32bit
> version with ndswrapper to use in Opera but I've never tried it.
>
> Until Flash becomes free software (free as in freedom, not cost), the
> alternative to Flash is gnash or klash: why not join those projects to
> make them "the real deal"?

Lack of skill / time.
Apart from that I heard Adobe *was* actually planning to release the flash src
or at least the specs, info not at hand right now.
I'd give knash a try but the very very least thing I need right now is another
construction site in my computer.

> Personally, I'd rather not use Flash until there is a free software
> alternative, but if I really HAD to use a website that required it
> (which I don't) then I would ask the developer to provide an
> alternative way of accessing the content.  You might also like to join
> the FSF (Free Software Foundation) so they can carry on their
> campaigning work to spread an alternative to proprietary software.

Uh huh, I'll ask Google if the can do something about that nasty flash thingy
in Youtube. :)

I'm currently in for easy solutions and a friend has it working by simply
installing the package, only thing I can' tfigure is why it won't work here.

Dex

--

http://www.vorratsdatenspeicherung.de