Dolphin right click menus

Jerry Lapham rjlapham at cinci.rr.com
Mon Aug 25 03:42:33 UTC 2008

I've recently started using Kubuntu 8.04 instead of Mandriva 2008.1 and was
surprised to find Dolphin and I've gotten to like it.  But there were a
couple of features I was used to in Mandriva's Konqueror that I missed:

1 - when I right clicked on a postscript file, the Action menu had an option
to convert a ps file to a pdf file.

2 - when I right clicked on a .jpg file, the Action menu had three "Kim"
options to convert, resize, etc. graphic files.

I was able to find and download "Kim"< http://bouveyron.free.fr/kim/> and
the "Kim" options appeared in Konqueror but not Dolphin.  I was able to add
both features as follows:

Dolphin and Konqueror menus are created by .desktop files:

Dolphin's are found in /usr/share/apps/d3lphin/servicemenus/

Konqueror's are found in /usr/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus/

After I installed kim the following three were added to Konqueror:

	kim_compressandresize.desktop
	kim_convertandrotate.desktop
	kim_publication.desktop

I copied them to Dolphin (/usr/share/apps/d3lphin/servicemenus/)

I also copied the following three from Mandriva 2008.1 to both Dolphin and
Konqueror:

	convertpdftops.desktop
	convertpdftotxt.desktop
	convertpstopdf.desktop

To eliminate redundancies, I removed the following from Dolphin:

	imageconverter.desktop
	jpegorient.desktop

Now I'm enjoying Dophin.

	-Jerry