Where is the boot log file stored?

Jerry Lapham rjlapham at cinci.rr.com
Sat Aug 23 19:15:21 UTC 2008

On Saturday 23 August 2008 9:26:07 am Paul Rumelhart wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Peter Williams wrote:
> >> I'd like to know (a) what is the filename of the boot log & (b) where
> >> is it stored. The file I'm referring to will have the text of the
> >> messages which appear when my pc is booting-up (e.g. before the log-in
> >> screen). I've noticed a few strange messages -- but the text flies off
> >> the screen so quickly that its very difficult to read it.
> >
> > With a default installation the messages are not stored anywhere. I think
> > you would need to install the package "sysvinit", but that package is in
> > conflict with package "upstart" which is vital for the boot process. I
> > can't tell you if sysvinit would do the job of upstart without further
> > modifications. Therefore I wouldn't recommend installing sysvinit.
> > However if you like an adventure you could install it and enable boot
> > logging in "/etc/default/bootlogd" by modifying the line which should
> > then read
> >
> > BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=Yes
> >
> > If you enable it, the messages should be stored in "/var/log/boot".
> >
> > As an alternative I would capture the messages with a digital camera.
> >

> > Nils
>
> You can run dmesg, and redirect it to a file (dmesg > dmesg.txt, or
> something similar).  This contains information on the boot process, as
> well as later segfaults while the system is running.
>
> Paul

Unfortunately, dmesg doesn't have _all_ the messages that appear on screen.  I
have Mandriva 2008.1 set to suppress the eye candy and show what's going on
during boot and there's more there than shows up in dmesg.  I haven't found
out how to do that in Kubuntu, yet.

	-Jerry
Jerry Lapham
Monroe, OH  45050