booting optimization

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 10:21:00 UTC 2008

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Pastor JW wrote:
>> I came across this while looking through /etc/init.d/rc to see what
>> things do. There is a line which is "CONCURRENCY=none" there so I
>> changed the "none" to "shell" like the comment indicates is a viable
>> option and booting became MUCH faster!
>
> Thanks for the tip, but there is no measurable difference here, it is 52s
> with both "none" and "shell" from grub menu until login screen. The only
> difference I see is that many boot messages are displayed twice when
> using the "shell" option.
>

> Nils

if i'm not mistaken, this option means if we want the boot-time scripts
and programs to be run one after the other, like a list or something, or
if we want them concurrent, all running together. if this is what it
means, them people who would notice the most difference are people with
more than 1 processor (dual core, hyper threading, etc...) since the
scripts can be run 2 by 2, whereas on single processor computers, all
the scripts will rush together, will fight for IO resources (like hard
disk) and will slow each other down.
for me, i noticed a 5~10 seconds difference, from grub to kdm used to
take 20~25 seconds, now around 15 seconds.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems