windows overwrote boot record

Robert Costa zabbarob at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 22 00:05:09 UTC 2008

hmm.. can you post the contents of /media/etc/mtab, /media/etc/fstab,
/media/boot/grub/device.map and /media/boot/grub/menu.lst  just to
see, if grub is really accessing /dev/sda5 (which would be "hd(0,4)"
for grub)... but to be honest, i don't understand what's going wrong,
too.. does the file /media/boot/grub/stage1 exist?

gotta go to bed, cya,
robert.

2008/8/22 Juan Kawada <juankawada at gmail.com>:
> ubuntu at ubuntu:~$ sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media /dev/sda
> The file /media/boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly.
>
> I just don't understand whats going wrong here.
>
> On 8/21/08, Juan Kawada <juankawada at gmail.com> wrote:
>> whoops. ok, everything there in that list was in dark blue, except for
>> initrd.img, lib64, vmlinuz, and cdrom, which were in light blue.
>>

>> On 8/21/08, Juan Kawada <juankawada at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> oh. and
>>>
>>> ubuntu at ubuntu:~$ ls /media
>>> bin    dev   initrd      lib32       media  proc  srv  usr
>>> boot   etc   initrd.img  lib64       mnt    root  sys  var
>>> cdrom  home  lib         lost+found  opt    sbin  tmp  vmlinuz

>>> --
>>> Registered Linux user  #475220
>>> register at http://counter.li.org/
>>>

>> --
>> Registered Linux user  #475220
>> register at http://counter.li.org/

Was man zu verstehen gelernt hat, das fürchtet man nicht mehr.