Konqueror missing one trick

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 19:32:37 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 9:06 PM, Martin Laberge <mlsoft at videotron.ca> wrote:
> On Thursday 21 August 2008 14:21:25 Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Art Alexion wrote:

>> > Yes. I find it won't work with my online bank either.
>> >
>> > I think this points to the real tragedy here.  The guardians of KDE have
>> > declared that they are moving the marvelous file functions that have been
>> > mentioned to Dolphin, which is a poor file manager in comparison, and
>>
>> Er, no, not really.  They _can't_ move those functions to Dolphin, because
>> they're kio slaves - ALL of KDE has access to them.  What they're saying
>> aiui is that the slaves are implemented as Dolphin parts.  I don't have an
>> issue with that.
>>
>> > leaving Konqueror as a web browser only -- an inferior (as compared to FF)
>> > web browser instead of a superior file manager.
>>
>> --
>> derek
>>

> konqueror is fine as it is now.
>
> with full file management and web browsing for standard pages
>
> THIS is THE good thing, doing those two tasks in one app.
>
> Simply, transparently.
>
> When your INTENT is to ONLY browse the web , banking ,
> then choose Firefox.
>
> But if your INTENT is to manage THINGS, documents, web-docs, pdf, text-files, ... ,
> and move them around or just look at them, then konqueror is THE tool.
>
> I frequently have a PDF, a web-page, a README file, a source file, another web-manual
> open at the same time on the same theme. that would be a mess with a different app for
> all differents documents i am reading while i work on a subject. (ex: a program, a docum, a letter, ...)
>

> I like my konqueror as it is now (in 3.5.9) and loosing konqueror
> as it is, would mean losing kde, as it is THE killer app in my opinion.
>
> (OK, I know, SOME pages dont open well, but they ar not of concern here.
> Just use firefox for banking/playing, and konqueror for the rest (work).)
>

> --
> Martin Laberge

I think the real point here is that it would be nice if Konqueror
worked as well as FF for web pages. As best I can tell from the bits
overheard, the reason Konqueror does not work is because some of the
devs of it are purists and will not bend to meet the needs of the
average Joe that does not care about standards and just wants
something that works. I for one understand the ideals of the purists
and hope they win but really just want something that works. In the
end purist very fully win but I am glad to have them.

--
Douglas E Knapp