find modem

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 07:30:11 UTC 2008

Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 August 2008 11:33:26 pm O. Sinclair wrote:
>> O. Sinclair wrote:

>>> Cannot is a too strong word. Search for "linmodems" on the internet or
>>> check out www.linuxant.com - note they charge for a fully working driver.
>> Maybe I should add that I have managed to get both external usb-modems
>> and internal "soft" winmodems working with more or less effort by
>> googling around and trying various solutions. For the moment my life is
>> easy as I own a Dell laptop where they supply the modem driver.
>>
>> Sinclair
>
> Dell?  Really?  I've looked more than once for my laptop and found no linux
> drivers for the modem, and I'm NOT paying for one (I just don't use it
> enough).  What model?

In my case I have an older Inspiron 6400/1505 that works fine and
currently use an Inspiron 1420/Vostro 1400 (model names differ due to
where and how they are sold). You can find info on Dell's linux wiki:
http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_8.04
look under "known issues" and you find the modem driver.

As I understand it they license it from Linuxant but I could be wrong.
It works, that what matters to me...

Sinclair