scanner optimization and usage

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 00:04:38 UTC 2008

Martin Laberge said the following at 08/12/2008 04:11 PM :

> gscan2pdf is a jewel to do this task,

gscan2pdf is good; however, I do have to point out to the OP that the
resulting files are about twice the size as the ones I used to get on my
Windows system. I'm not sure why that is, but it's pretty constantly true.

I did try to see if there was a program that could look at the PDF and
convert the graphical data into something more compressed (but still PDF),
but I couldn't find anything that did the job.

On the Windows side, the files were originally compressed TIF; when I
converted them to PDF, the resulting files were (as I mention above) about
half the size of the PDFs I'm getting from gscan2pdf. So that sort-of
indicates that the PDF output from gscan2pdf isn't as compressed as it
could be.

Disk space is cheap though (and you indicate it isn't a problem for you),
so it's really nothing more a minor irritation.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR