"Remote login" option at login screen

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 23:02:06 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton said the following at 08/16/2008 01:26 PM :

>> Turns out that it's not enough to just restart the X server on the
>> destination machine. For some reason one needs to reboot.
>>
>> Once one does that, one can remotely log in.
>
> That's a new one on me.  I suspect "sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart" would have
> done the job.

You're almost certainly right.

"You need to reboot" (or words to that effect) is my shorthand for "Yes, I
know I don't really need to reboot, and if I knew which daemon(s) to stop
and restart then feature X would work, but since I haven't got the foggiest
idea which daemon(s) are the magic ones for feature X, then I've rebooted
instead, and now it works".

:-)

  Doc

--