Konqueror the ultimate Linux tool or cool things you can do with it

Mark Halegua phantom21 at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 16 17:08:26 BST 2008

On Saturday 16 August 2008 09:39:11 am Willy Hamra wrote:
> 2008/8/16 Jonas Norlander <jonorland at gmail.com>:
> > 2008/8/16 Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com>:
> >> I started out this email with the idea of writing about a really cool
> >> thing that I found you could do with Konqueror. I had no idea that
> >> this was possible after years of use. Then I found someone who had
> >> already done this.
> >>
> >> http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6102390.html
> >>
> >> On other I found in the URL adress space type
> >> py:math
> >> and you will be given a search of google python manual.
> >>
> >> type
> >> man:ls
> >> and you will be given a great printout of the man command in a nice
> >> KDE GUI format. Works for all man searches and it lists other commands
> >> as you type too!
> >>
> >> Does anyone else know of cool things konqueror can do?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Douglas E Knapp
> >
> > One really cool thing you can do with the KIO-slave is audiocd:/
> > Speaking of that i miss the option to extract the files as FLAC. I got
> > wav, ogg, cda and mp3 but no flac.
> > A quick search pointed me to this bug
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdemultimedia/+bug/160260/
>
> the most significant feature that made me believe that konqi can
> really do magic, i searched every  menu item and option in amarok to
> see how i can rip a CD, until i discovered the KIO-slave, real magic!
> i also like that i can open multiple tabs while using konqi as a file
> browser, very handy when moving/copying files across many directories.
> even though i rarely use/need them, i like the integration features
> with the rest of KDE, like seeing amarok's now playing info in the

Did you know you could make separate panes in one tab, and move files between
the panes?  To do this, open a tab into the file system, then, at the bottom
of the pane, right click.  A menu will come up asking if you want to split
left/right or split up/down.  You can do this in EACH pane of the split as
many times as you want, move to a different part of the file system in each
pane, and move/copy files as you need.

Mark