Grub Error 28: Selected item could not fit into memory

Giuseppe Pinto pinopinto at people.it
Thu Aug 14 12:36:06 UTC 2008

On my laptop (HP DV9745el) I've got Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE 4.1 and Windows
Vista in dual boot.
Everything has always worked fine; then I edited the kdmrc to select GRUB as
a loader, in order to get the "Reboot as..." option in the KDM shutdown
menu, rebooted normally (i.e. without using the new menu) and then, after
logging in Linux again, chose to reboot to Vista.
When the PC rebooted, the GRUB boot menu came out as ever, and I had to
choose the OS I wanted to boot into; so I guess the "Reboot as..." thing
isn't working very well... On top of that, now if I select Vista from the
GRUB menu, I get the following line:
Error 28: Selected item could not fit into memory
The only thing I can do is to press Enter to return to the boot menu and
select Linux.
What can I do to be able to boot into Windows again now?

--
Ciao,
Pino