Fw: Can anybody help me????

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Wed Aug 13 12:57:38 UTC 2008

On 08/13/2008 DEEPESH KATKAR wrote:
>  Hello......I have just downloaded kubuntu upon my friend's
>  recommendation and wanna use this as an operating system. How ever my
>  desktop is also used by my bro who wants to keep Windows.........Can
>  anybody help me by explaining how can use both the systems???? My
>  friend also advised me that I can partition my HDD use both operating
>  systems. If so, how much disk space will be used??? please note that
>  I have following config for a pc...:
>  160 GB HDD
>  1 GB RAM
>  Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GHz processor
>  Windows XP OS
>
>  I shall really be thank ful for ur help. I am not so good at
>  computers but I m trying to learn a few things.
>
>  Best Regards
>
>  Deepesh Katkar

Simple answer is yes you can use both.

Most any CD burning software knows what to do with the ISO that you
downloaded. So burn the disk. Put it in the CD drive and reboot your
computer [ check the bios to make sure the computer will boot from the
CD drive before the hard drive ]. You will be given a choice of whether
you want to run Kubuntu from the CD [ can't save any work you do ],
install Kubuntu, boot from the hard drive, or check the CD [ not a bad
idea at this point ]. In a fresh install of this type I usually run from
the CD then when it's up and running click on the install icon on the
desktop. [ Why? - I don't know, I just do. ] After a couple pages of
information the installer will give you a suggestion on how to install.
Usually it does a pretty good job of choosing the sizes and partitions
and I will just go with it. If you want to do something different
there's an advanced button that takes you to another page where you can
set it up your way. Once that's done it installs.

Once the installation is complete and the system reboots the first thing
you will see after the POST is the Grub boot menu. This is where you
choose which OS to run.

Have fun.