re dual boot Kubuntu 8.0.4/Ubuntu 8.0.4

Sylviane et Perry White spwhite at freesurf.ch
Tue Aug 12 18:16:12 UTC 2008

I don't have a fundamental objection agains private mails but I think it is
still better in this case to keep this topic in the list (they can correct me
if I go wrong)

On Monday 11 August 2008 22:35, you wrote:
> I mean I do not understand the steps to load in Kubuntu?
When you install it from the live or alternate CD (hope that is still relevant
for 8.04 because I never tried it) you will be asked where to install, and
perhaps where to place grub.
Does that answer your question?
> also I dual boot
No binary choice there, "dual" boot is just a shorthand for "plural" boot...
Grub will be installed somewhere and give you all the available choices if you
have more than 2.
> at the moment with the primary drive as Hddo(drive c) xp pro sp3 and
> secondary hdd1 (drive d) as Me o/s, so wouldnt I dual boot to show Me o/s
> on drive d Hdd1 and install kubuntu on this drive, as I only want to
> replace my Me o/s with Kubuntu,
You then *have* to install Kubuntu where Me o/s is.
> but keep xp pro sp3 as my dual boot
> ?????????
Grub will notice there are only 2 systems left, your xp and the new Linux, and
will make entries for those. That's what it (or Lilo) always did to me.
Of course it always better to make a backup of your most important data in
case something goes wrong (and I take no responsabilities) ... but I don't
expect any problems.

To be on the safe side, check what I said in my previous answer, if it is
possible to change the booting order in the BIOS to hdd1 and if it is
possible to place grub there.

Perry

--
BOFH excuse #232: Ionization from the air-conditioning