7.01>8.04 upgrade hangs

Ray Glendinning glen5358 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 12 00:24:53 BST 2008

I upgraded on-line from 7.01 to 8.04 and the installation hung. An      attempt to stop the installation carried a warning that the system would
be unstable if I did not resume. I had no choice.
running Update Manager check gave the following error:
  E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure   -a'   to
        correct the problem.
        E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
Running dpkg --configure -a set the process in motion but it again
froze at:
        Setting up locales (2.7.9-4) ...
        Generating locales...
Any help out there?