[Bulk] KControl crashes when screen saver option is selected.

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 12 06:33:53 UTC 2008

I've had this happen when browsing screen savers to choose the one I
wanted to use.  I've had some screen savers actually lock my display to
where I had to reboot (though if I knew more I might have been able to
restart X).  When that happens, the last screen saver you chose is the
one that is first shown when you go to the screen saver tab, causing
your machine to crash again.  To fix this, I had to edit my kdesktoprc
file in ~/.kde/config.  In the [ScreenSaver] section, try changing the
Saver= line to be something different.  Mine is currently
"Saver=glslideshow.desktop" if you want to try that one.  Later, I
turned off the screen saver and installed xscreensaver and I now use
that.  That might be an option if you can't fix the problem easily.

Also, if I remember right, I got the screen saver tab to show in the
"Configure Desktop" option when right-clicking the background by
installing kde-desktop (and maybe kde-addons, I can't remember).  It's
easier to get to the screen saver that way.  I think that Kubuntu is
made to route you through the "System Settings" dialog, and removes that
option.  I liked it too much from when I ran Debian, so I found a way to
get it back.  I also can't live without the "Copy To" and "Move To"
functionality when right-clicking on an icon on the desktop.  I don't
remember if that was part of kde-addons or if I had to install something
else.

I've also had the same problem with some icons claiming to be deleted
happen before, but for the life of me I can't remember how I got around
that.  Maybe right-clicking and selecting "Refresh Desktop"?  Or doing a
controlled shutdown and then restarting?  I vaguely remember having to
kill some process that had them locked or something, but I can't
remember for sure.  I should have taken notes.

Anyway, hope this helps.  The blind leading the blind.  Scary.

Paul